Saturday, March 27, 2010

warranties and manuals


I'm cleaning out the file cabinet. Separating the owners manuals. The ones that stay here in the house and the ones that move with us. It's very much like when I gave away all the baby clothes. Bittersweet.

We have replaced every appliance in the house. We purchased the washer and dryer and the freezer the first week we lived here. Having 4 boys at the time, we bought the extra large capacity. It cut my laundry time in half.

The first appliance to go was the water heater. I remember the panic when there was unexplained water soaking the carpet in the basement.

Then, came the oven, microwave and refrigerator. One of them quit working and since all were old we purchase them to match. We super sized everything. Then the air conditioner quit working. It was August, in Washington D.C. I was pregnant and the humidity and heat was unbearable. I have never loved an appliance more.
When we remodeled the kitchen we purchase a new dishwasher. It's a excellent kitchen by the way. You don't have to take more then one step to bake or cook anything. There is an amazing amount of storage in those tall cabinets.

The last appliance to go on us was the heater. It was the original heater that was placed in the house when it was built. I remember quite a few years getting the old heater serviced and cleaned for the winter and wondering if that was going to be the year we had to buy a new one.

We also added siding, new glass doors, and gutter guard. It's a good house...and I have a binder full of warranties and manuals to show for it.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

It's a bit sad to leave a house you've done so much for! I'm in somewhat the same boat here, we haven't lived here quite as long, or done quite as much, but just the new carpet and paint makes me want to stay! I'm glad you were able to sell it. Did it go to some good people? Kids?
Not like you're going to say, No, the people stink. ;)